The Cheap to Crazy Cigar Experiment

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by OldWestChris, Nov 15, 2013.

1. OldWestChris

OldWestChris New Member Member

Oct 26, 2013
    Do the rest of you ever get bored with what you have in your humidor? A couple months ago, I was staring in my humidor trying to choose a cigar for the evening. I picked up one, put it back. I picked up another, put it back. I think I stood there and touched every brand I had in the humidor and did not feel excited about any of them. They were all good cigars, but I felt bored. It was almost like picking up the TV paper and seeing all the shows tonight are reruns you already watched.

I decided to try an experiment. I was going to buy a minimum of 25 new cigars to sample ranging from extremely cheap to more expensive than normal cigars. I jumped online and started doing some research, on the forums, cigar store sites, and on a few blogs. The adrenalin was pumping and the smoke was puffing. Yes, I did light up a cigar from my humidor to smoke while I started my exploration, but I do not remember which one.

Following is my list of 25 cigars and a short comment on each one. The list is in no specific order, and those comments are far short of a good review.

1. Padron 1926 No. 1 Natural – - Worth every penny, strong, even, and wonderful.
    2. Cohiba Black Churchill – A good medium strength cigar, with great flavor, burned evenly.
    3. Montecristo Robusto – Good to great flavor, my stick burned unevenly forcing several relights.
    4. Alec Bradley Prensado Corona Gorda – One of my favorites, a definite "buy again".
    5. AVO Domaine No. 30 – Nice cigar, smoked smooth, good full flavor.
    6. Camacho Triple Maduro Torpedo – Another cigar to make my "buy again" list, great taste.
    7. Punch Rare Corojo Rothschild – I expected more, nice cigar, but not one of my favorites.
    8. Macanudo Cafe Duke of Windsor – Too light for me, but would be great for a few of my friends.
    9. Don Mateo No. 7 – Surprised me, a very pleasant cigar for the price.
    10. Davidoff Hendrik Kelner Corona – My stick had a lot of flavor deviation end to end.
    11. King Edward Tip Cigarillos – Stop laughing. Yes, it was quite bad.
    12. Prince Albert Soft Vanilla – It resurrected memories of college and drinking beer, not a cigar for today.
    13. Phillies Blunts Sour Apple – This was my biggest surprise, a great little cigar for those odd flavor moments.
    14. Good Times Double Maestro Palmas – Cuban seed tobacco, maybe from the waste can.
    15. Perdomo Fresco Maduro Robusto – Pleasant taste, nice burn, good value cigar.
    16. Don Mateo No. 9 – Not bad, but definitely not my favorite from Don Mateo
    17. La Finca Romeos – Cough, ahem, Ok, so maybe not horrible, but my stick burned unevenly.
    18. Liga Undercrown Gran Toro – Smoked the day after the La Finca, felt like heaven. Nice cigar.
    19. Griffin's Robusto – It has a nice burn, but a little too mild for my palette.
    20. Partagas No. 1 – It is a cigar with a very nice flavor, good burn. I have added a few more sticks to my humidor.
    21. Acid Blondie Belicoso – Interesting smoke, good flavor, but slightly hotter than most.
    22. Acid Liquid – Interesting flavor, would definitely smoke again.
    23. Rocky Patel Valedor Robusto – I knew I could trust you, Rocky. Great cigar.
    24. Nub CAIN Maduro 460 – Not a Nub lover, but I just added more to the humidor, great fast smoke.
    25. Alec Bradley Black Market Torpedo – I found this to be a very pleasant cigar with a good flavor and nice burn.

The biggest surprise in my three weeks of playing around was the Phillies Blunts Sour Apple. An unusual cigar tasted better with a beer, which is why I said "odd flavor moments". I would not light one up to have at home for a relaxing smoke, but would have one at the bowling alley with a beer, or was that after a few beers.
    The Padron 1926 No. 1 was the best cigar of the group. Those King Edward Tip Cigarillos were a gift from a bowling friend who is addicted to the things. I cannot think of one nice thing to say about those cigars, except it was free. The Liga Undercrown Gran Toro was a very nice surprise after the horror of the La Finca. I will probably add more of the Gran Toro's to my humidor in the future.

I learned those cigars in my humidor are very good, and the new additions make it even better. I am busy looking at cigars on right now trying to choose my next 20 cigars for round two of my experiment. If you have any suggestions, and they do not have a plastic tip, I would be happy to hear them. If you have never tried an experiment like this, I suggest you try it. You will be surprised how good some of the cheap cigars taste and how average some of the higher priced cigars taste. Go ahead and try a couple of those rock gut cheap cigars from the grocery store, too. It is amazing how much it makes you appreciate a good cigar when you just tasted something that bad. It is kind of like eating a cold McDonald's cheeseburger the next day, or eating a hot sizzling piece of medium rare prime rib.

I am seriously debating if I travel back farther into my college days and order a small box of Swisher Sweets for this next trial run or not. Of course, that could be early stage Alzheimer's setting in.

I failed to mention one important point earlier. None of these cigars had more than 2 days in the humidor, so aging was next to zero. This could have caused some of the uneven burns I experienced, except those cigars came from a local smoke shop that keeps cigars in a large walk-in humidor. I purchased some of the cigars online, also. For my next round, I am buying all of the cheaper cigars from online stores, not from the local grocery stores or smoke shops. I will keep the cigars in the humidor for at least one week prior to starting the great smoking adventure this next time.