List of e-Cig Health Studies

Discussion in 'FAQs & Guides' started by MasterVapes, Oct 24, 2012.

1. MasterVapes

MasterVapes Sysop Admin

There is overwhelming evidence that inhaling vapor produced by an e-Cigarette is dramatically better for you than continuing a traditional tobacco smoking habit.

It's often difficult and onfusing to find good solid evidence either FOR or AGAINST the health benefits and concerns with smoking e-Cigarettes. I hope this list helps some of you in your own quest to better health. Please sound off in the comments if you have other information to add :)

This list is a work in progress. [Last update: Dec. 6th, 2012]

Positive Studies, Links & Videos
    Positive Opinions & Arguments

Nicotine has been in use as an insecticide for OVER 200 years at 40% concentration, and is still in use in Canada. E-cigarettes typically use 2% concentration, estimated 98%+ is absorbed by the user. You literally have to suck someone's face for hours just to get as much nicotine that one can get with just 1 100g serving of egg plant.

Propylene glycol has a track record for safety, specifically for inhalation, for OVER 50 years. Ignoring nebulizers, and hospital air sanitation systems, we have home fog machines that consume more PG in an hour than a e-cig user can consume in a year.

We have LorAnn oils which ARE the standard for baking and e-cigarettes, that are approved for use in confectioneries, which are baked at hundreds of degrees C. E-cigarettes typically operate WELL under 100C, 60C typical.

E-cigarettes are like Glade Plugins, except Glade Plug-ins have a documented higher impact on public health. Because they use Paraffinic based compounds, they have a HMIS rating of 2, vs e-cigarettes which are based on propylene glycol and/or vegetable glycerin, and HMIS rating of 1. Same would apply to paraffin candles, totally unregulated, produce more vapor than e-cigarettes, and all objective evidence to date indicate they pose a higher health risk than e-cigarettes.

The primary issue is Canada allows the sale of tobacco cigarettes, which are estimated at affecting the natural lifespan of 1/2 it's users, killing 1% of it's user base yearly, and have an objective impact to bystander health. On the other hand, with e-cigarettes, over 2.5 million users in the US, and not one case of serious illness, injury, or death reported. For this reason Health Canada's position is unacceptable.

Negative Studies, Reports & Videos

2. Vapella

Vapella Member Member

Great post...I struggled with this question so it's great to have all the info in one thread.

Here's a bit more info I found...
    Short Term Health Benefits of Electronic Cigarettes

What we know about electronic cigarettes is based on science, and analyses of the ingredients. As the devices have been used for less than 10 years, we don’t have empirical evidence of the longer term effect of cigarettes.

It’s a different matter for short term effects, though.

In 2009, the University of Alberta carried out a study asking how smokers felt after switching to the electronic cigarette. The results seemed clear with almost everyone reporting better health attributes.

You can read the official report here, or read an academic summary of the survey here: E Cigarettes as Potential Tobacco Harm Reduction Projects.

3. Zero

Zero Professor of Vapology Member

This even has been really embellished over time. This wasn't a run of the mill e-cig. It was a sealed two battery mod with batteries which were below par being used for VV... It was litterally a disaster waiting to happen. this couldn't happen with an ego type battery and is extremely unlike with a single batt mod.

I would think that the biggest negative of ecigs would be MI-5 mistaking them for bombs! It happened just before the olympics this year and on a few other occasions (not just in the UK).

There was a study done this year (I can't remember by who) but it showed that people were shorter of breath after vaping than smoking... but the effects weren't long term... so who care?

People maybe shorter of breath after having a vape than a smoke... but vapers recover.

4. MidnightVaper

MidnightVaper Vendor Vendor

It's amazing how important information about the products as well as positive results have been so slow to spread, but this one negative incident was able to spread so fast and deep into the non vaping general public. I have this story tossed in my face on almost a daily basis. If 10 new people approach me in a day, there might be 3 of them that tell me "don't these things explode in peoples mouths".

Frustrating

5. Zero

Zero Professor of Vapology Member

It is, of course a legitimate issue.
    I mean, who wants to puff on a hand grenade?
    But of course the papers will spin it to sound like it happens frequently because that is what will sell. But I wouldn't be at all surprised if tobacco companies had something to do with it getting so much press. Ecigs are a big deal! They're a wonderful alternative to something that kills epic amounts of people every year. Where's the press on that? It should be front page news and endorsed by every government!

6. saintjames

saintjames Member Member

Glad to finally get some specifics about the exploding battery incident. I agree the latest devices are safer but I have to say it does worry me, especially considering the amount of leakage that sometimes occurs on the top of the battery. Has anyone ever shorted a battery this way?

7. MidnightVaper

MidnightVaper Vendor Vendor

Not trying to minimize anyone's concerns, but a couple of things to think about.

Electronic Cigarettes have been around since approx 2009 and have been more popular in Europe & Asia then in North America. There are millions of users world wide, many of which have been vaping regularly for at least a year or more. There really has only been this one report of this happening.

How many people have been hurt or killed by fire after carelessly disposed of cigarettes.

8. MasterVapes

MasterVapes Sysop Admin

Updated the health list with: Positive Opinions & Arguments

If anyone knows any recent or meaningful studies or links please share.

9. MasterVapes

MasterVapes Sysop Admin

10. MasterVapes

MasterVapes Sysop Admin

11. JackMojica

JackMojica New Member Member

I know vaporizer forum might not be the correct place to look for negative effects of vaporizing, but I would like to see something at least aimed in that direction. Most of these seem very pro vaporizer.
    I have heard of some European countries claiming that e cigarettes, don't help to quit smoking, so they should be banned. Absurd of course but is there anyone who knows researches it is based on?