Crossing the border into Canada with e liquids w/nic

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Lilkurty, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Offline
    Lilkurty

Lilkurty Vapoholic Member

Hey guys,
    Just got my eGo C2 upgrade and getting used to it. It's definitely better than the cig-alike that I had!

Just wondering about your experiences crossing the border with your PVs and e liquid w/ nic.
    I came back to Canada with my cig-a-like starter kit and several packs of cartomizers with no problem a few weeks ago, but then again I didn't realize that it was illegal either.

I plan to bring back pure nic and some e liquids w 36 mg....do you think I will have issues?

Just checking ;)
  2. Offline
    MasterVapes

MasterVapes Sysop Admin

Tricky question. The short answer is YES this is illegal as you must declare the liquid, and because it is banned in Canada that will not go well. Having said that, I *think* the worst that would happen is that you would lose your liquid but I could totally be wrong on this and it is just a guess!

If it was me I'd avoid the hassle/stress and just do a mail order, OR you could go buy what you wanted and then ship it back to Canada. Just my 2 cents, GOOD LUCK!
  3. Offline
    Lilkurty

Thank you Mastervapes. Your 2 cents are appreciated (although soon to be extinct!)
    I am a very frequent border crosser as I am a dual citizen so I have a couple of ideas. In any event I shall let the forum know of the outcome.
    The issue that I am uncomfortable with is mailing it to myself in Canada as I would have to declare it as something other than what it is otherwise it will be seized. It's just my conscience and I can't speak for anyone else but this is a poison that I would be putting others at risk by handling something that they think is one thing but is actually dangerous.

So, I will pack in my luggage (in a ziplock bag). It should have no problem going thru screening as I'll do this in the US where it is legal. Then, it will just be up to what the Customs official asks me......

Keeping fingers and toes crossed, I'll let you know on the 15th when (and if) I am back at home....and not in the hoosegow!!
    MasterVapes likes this.
  4. Offline
    saintjames

saintjames Member Member

Please do! I know someone else attempting this with MT Baker in WA state next week and I'm sure he'd love to hear of your success :)
  5. Offline
    MasterVapes

MasterVapes Sysop Admin

Dual citizenship may help, especially if you do a lot of crossings. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
  6. Offline
    Lilkurty

When I came back Jan 17 with my first purchase of the e cig starter kit and about 5 packs of cartridges this is how it went. Keep in mind that I was unaware at that time that it might be a problem. Everything was in my carry on and since I went through security in the States there was no problem. At Canadian Customs they ask you on the form that you submit if you have gone over your limit but they don't ask you to itemize your purchases. They may ask what is the most expensive thing that you bought. They will sometimes ask but very rarely with me if I have alcohol or tobacco. I almost never get that stuff at duty free and they already know it because they have all that info in my profile. So the question period is very brief. I have learned to ALWAYS be very respectful of these officials, sucking it up and saying "yes sir & no sir" AND keeping answers as brief as possible. If it can be answered yes or no, that is all they get from me. So if asked if I have any alcohol, tobacco or firearms, the answer is no!
    Now, if they have nicotine sniffing dogs....I'm hooped.
    Having said that, they would confiscate it and give me a warning that this is not allowed. Then next time though, that info would be in my profile and I would be asked and/or searched probably every time.
  7. Offline
    saintjames

saintjames Member Member

Exactly!
  8. Offline
    cmknight

cmknight New Member Member

Some people will get the vendors to transfer the e-liquid into bottles that are labelled as 0mg-nicotine before shipping. Seems to work with the fruity flavours.
  9. Offline
    TroyVapes

TroyVapes Member Member

Good tip cmknight! I'll try requesting that on my next order from the US.